Friday, June 6, 2008

2555 Calories Per Day


I looked at an email today that had a formula for a BMR (base metabolic rate). The newsletter said, “Your BMR is the number of calories your body burns in a day when operating at absolute minimum capacity. Basically, imagine sitting on the couch all day. Your BMR, then, is the number of calories your body burns just to maintain your heartbeat, digestion, respiration, tissue repair and other organ functions. That's it.”

I don’t know how accurate this kind of stuff is, but I have been curious lately about how many calories is too much or too little for me in a day. I don’t think I am dedicated enough to carry around a calorie counting book with me everywhere, but I definitely need to work on portion control. Here is the formula for BMR:

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

My BMR is 2060. So basically to maintain my current weight (which I do not want to do) I could sit on the couch all day and eat 2060 calories.

So then you figure our how many calories you are burning each day by using the Harris Benedict Equation:

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

  1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I figure that right now I am about a 3-4. I exercise moderate/hard 5 days a week. So I take my BMR (2060) and multiply it by 1.55. So now my daily calorie intake to maintain my current weight is 3193. So I found some more information on how to figure out how many calories are too little/too much to lose weight:

“If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.”

If I reduce my caloric intake by 20%, this means I can eat 2555 calories a day to lose weight. If I go with reducing the number by 1000, I can have 2193 calories per day and still lose weight. Seems a little complicated to count calories, but at least now if I go to Wendy’s for lunch and have their southwest taco salad with the works, I know that I’ve eaten 650 of my daily calories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so cool. When I understand what I am eating and how I am burning calories I seem to do much better. Eat less and move more, it makes sense when you look at the numbers.

Macy said...

I liked your blog! I am one of those who bought a calorie counting book and it's an eye opener! I look through it every once in a while to remind me why I shouldn't eat fries!